Juan was admitted as an attorney in 1992 and has right of appearance in the High Court. He speaks English, Afrikaans and Sotho.
With more than 25 years’ legal experience, Juan is a specialist in the field of Family Law, Divorce and Matrimonial Law (both international and national). He advises on various matrimonial systems, divorce, separation, and other family law matters such as custody disputes, maintenance, and the drafting of antenuptial contracts.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law, Divorce and Matrimonial Law: Access to Children, Adoption Law, Antenuptial Agreements, Children’s Rights, Civil Unions, Custody, Customary Marriages, Divorce (contested and uncontested), Divorce Mediation, Domestic Partnerships, International Divorce, Potential Rights in respect of Children, Maintenance Claims, Maintenance for Spouses, Maintenance for Children, Matrimonial Law, Same Sex Marriages, Same Sex Divorces, Surrogacy Law
- Criminal Law: Domestic Violence, Protection Orders, International Child Abduction, Deportations, Bail Applications, Rape, Murder, Extortion, Drunk Driving, Fraud, Theft, Sexual Offences, White Collar Crime
- Family Law: Children born out of wedlock – the rights of the biological father
- Court orders Herschelle Gibbs to pay thousands in child support
- ConCourt Rule 43 maintenance ruling: Still not appealable, but with exceptions
- Children born out of wedlock – What are the rights of the biological father?
- Are you an unmarried parent? Know your rights…
- In or out of community of property?
“Juan handled my difficult drawn out divorce with absolute precision. He has a brilliant strategic mind, always one step ahead of the opposition, but at the same time, he is a kind and compassionate man. I am forever grateful to him, and would not hesitate to recommend him.”
Mrs Ros Taviansky
“Juan was my life-saver. He fought vigorously for me to be treated fairly and have a future with dignity. I will forever be grateful for his true guidance and support during this extremely difficult time in my life. He is a brilliant attorney, solid and totally trustworthy – he truly is the absolute right person to have in your corner – he went to battle for me.”
Desire Jansen van Rensburg
“My dealings with Juan Smuts and his team have always been handled with care, consideration, professionalism and grit. This combination of attributes resulted in a swift and positive settlement. The team were always attentive to me as their client and readily available to give advice and direction.”
Heather – Mother of one filing for divorce